Tuesday, April 5, 2011

How it All Began

I have spent most of my life enjoying bread, cookies, pasta, and other glutenous delights. When I came to the realization that I would no longer be able to eat my favorite and albeit, staples, I was crushed. What am I going to eat now!!!

I would often go out to eat with my mother and find myself always running, and I mean RUNNING to the bathroom, sometimes I wouldn't make it, and some times I would be stuck with a public restroom. I would just be so humiliated. I told my mother I would no longer be able to eat out with her, because it was just too much trouble and so stressful. Around the same time, I attended my baby cousin's bris. I had all the Jewish favorites, Bagels, bialis, black and white cookie, lidsor torts, humantashin, rainbow cookies, you name it I was loving it. I spent most of the party in the bathroom until I decided I just had to leave because the pain was just unbearable. I found myself literally screaming in pain every time I went to the bathroom and this continued for over a month.

One day, while eating a bowl of Life cereal, my mother calls and says, "I know what you have." After a sleep less night, she turned on the television and heard a woman describing the same problems I had been experiencing. She had been to numerous doctors and they couldn't find anything wrong with her, like she was crazy or something. Finally she goes to a new doctor and he knew immediately what was wrong and tested her for Celiac disease. My mother tells me, "I think you have Celiac disease!" I'm like, um, I don't have a disease, you are crazy and need to stop watching TV. She says, "just try not eating bread or wheat products for a while and see what happens." Aghast at this suggestion, I proudly told her I was eating a giant bowl of Life cereal and I felt great. Moments after hanging up with her I found my self in such unbearable pain on the toilet. Literally screaming and crying, ripping the towel rack out of the wall. I decided it was worth a try.

I tried alright. Everything I picked up had gluten in it. I read books and articles on the subject and found that things like soy sauce and caramel flavorings had gluten in it and was just distraught. I can't really eat any packaged food, fast food was out of the question and I don't know how to cook! What the hell am I going to do? My mom and I head off to Whole Foods to find some gluten free items. My mom bought EVERYTHING that said "Gluten Free" on it. It seemed like everything that said Gluten Free on it was 10X more expensive then regular food, and I can barely afford to eat as it is. I am very fortunate that my mother spent the money on food for me to try so I could see what I liked and disliked.

I have not been formerly diagnosed with Celiac. I have seen many Emory doctors and for some reason, even though they have the genetic and blood test available, the doctors have pretty much deterred me from taking them saying, "If it makes you feel better when you don't eat gluten, then don't eat it." I have at times decided, maybe it was just a momentary thing, maybe I just had too much gluten in my system and it would pass. Every once in a while I would try a piece of pizza, or a bread, and instantly be running to the bathroom and in pain for days. I have come to the realization that I cannot eat gluten anymore. Sometimes I think I haven't had any and I still have certain characteristics that I will not get into that tell me I have ingested some hidden gluten somewhere. I have found over time there are still certain items that are not safe, and I find new things all the time.

I am writing this for people who can't afford to "test" all these expensive products or so called gluten free restaurants. Tell you what is good and what is just outright disgusting. I will show you how I have gotten around not eating gluten but still eat the foods I like in Atlanta, and how to do it as inexpensively as possible.

Please leave comments that may help others or even myself along the way. Tips, and links are appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment